Dolores






I have always been attracted to silent film and old Hollywood stars. Theda Bara, Mary Pickford, Clara Bow... To think about their lives while staring to that dreamy, monochrome, dusty world... I just find it fascinating.

Some months ago I came across this rare Dolores del Rio photograph on Pinterest. It looked surrealist to note all the little men on her Spanish peineta hair comb. Dolores was the first Latin american star who made it big in Hollywood in the early 20s. Famous for being among the most beautiful woman in that era and being romantically linked with Orson Welles, Dolores returned back to Mexico where she built a solid career in cinema. The idea of her wearing typical Mexican dresses and long dark braids is the one we are more familiar with.

But not this one:


We are used to see her as the ultimate, ever innocent, poor, romantic and teary Mexican woman.
However, this image is certainly different.

I love this image because it portrays what a Fabulous Pouf is: a story on her head, a question mark of what comes ahead, a radiant and beautiful woman. I couldn't help myself and decided to make a drawing on my sketchbook.



The quote on the top comes from Clarissa Pinkola Estes' book "Women who run with wolves" and says:

'She simply must put her foot down and say no to half of what she believes she "should" be doing. Art is not meant to be created in stolen moments only'

Not sure entirely why I put that quote there, it just happen that I found it underlined in the book.

Happy friday!

x

Comments

Popular Posts